Many parents are worried about their kids’ comprehensive ability when they went to primary school. They might facing the problem of unseen vocabularies, complicated sentences and sometimes even couldn’t understand the meaning of the passage. Comprehension is not difficult.
Here are some points we can follow.
1. Ask the kids to read the passage by pointing out each words with their little finger. If they still don’t get the meaning then can read words. This could prevent missing words or misread words that cause fault interpretation.
2. When come across unseen vocabularies, kids could skip the unseen words and keep on the rest of the sentence. They could mostly guess the meaning of the word correctly according to the previous phrase.
3. If they don’t understand what’s the sentence is talking about, they could repeat it several times. If they still couldn’t get it, should read the previous sentence as well as the followings. Thus could provide a clue and link the sentences up.
4. Divided the passage into several paragraphs then you could easily find the answers by looking up the according paragraphs.
5. Check the main theme of the story which probably could be found in the title or/and the first paragraph the the passage. Follow the theme to read and understand the script. If it’s talking about person, then think what would happen to the person. If it’s talking about landscape and scenery, what would be it looks like? If the passage is talking about an incident, then when? How? What happened? What’s the ending of the story? No matter which type of writing, we could easily notice whether it is a narration, description, exposition or argumentation from the beginning of the essay.The most important thing is, we always read with patience, carefulness. Keep reading and keep trying. We can finally understand the meaning of the essay.And to build up the habit of reading of course is one of the best way to improve the reading speed and the quantity of vocabularies which enhance the ability of comprehension gradually.
To encourage and strengthen kids’ reading ability, we have launch a series of online passages and playful questions for kids to practice. Don’t miss this chance! Reading is meaningful. Each different essays are telling us a different story like our friends, some are fun, some are refreshing, some could bring us to explore a whole new place or cold knowledge.Through the passion of reading you would become a better person.